UNDERSTANDING THE VALUES OF DEMOCRACY
"This too, shall pass"
- Civil liberties were suspended. - Sterilization was forced. - Freedom of press was curbed. - Many prominent opposition party members were arrested - Govt. had the right to take over anybody's property - More than 8 state governments were dismissed - Four major religious, political and revolutionary parties and 22 associated parties were banned.
EMERGENCY: THE DARK PERIOD
The Sordid Truths
D.E.M O'cracy, beloved husband of T ruth, loving father of L.I. Bertie, brother of hope, faith and justice expired on June 26.
- Obituary on Democracy, Bombay Times (1975)
Once the Janata party came into power, despair met hope in the form of 'Lok Nayak' Jayaprakash Narayan. His fight against the forces of exploitation invigorated the erstwhile Indian masses with a new-found optimism. In these 40 eventful years many governments have come and gone by but has the country really moved forward & learnt its lessons?
Have we moved beyond vote-buying, invective & partisan politics? Will Quality education & healthcare, service guarantee or transparent governance remain a distant dream? Have we avoided the avoidable suffering or tapped the real potential of this country?
As Dr. Jayaprakash Narayan rightly asks :
Are the dark days over???
India is a 'Work in Progress'.To complete this work, we need to be committed to:
- Have quality public discourse and fuse authority with accountability.
- Provide greater linkage between citizen's vote & public good
WORK IN PROGRESS
"Those who fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it" - Winston Churchill
- Bring about a real change in the rules of the game than having a mere change in the 'players of the game'.
- Strengthen & empower the local governments.
- Rise above sectarianism
- Establish a system that elevates the best and brightest as leaders.
Prepared by : Ms.Suhanjali, Research Intern, FDR
THOUGH IT IS NOT A CONSTITUTIONAL EMERGENCY IT IS AN UNDECLARED EMERGENCY THE HOPES THAT WERE SET TO BE FULFILLED FOLLOWING THE END OF EMERGENCY ARE YET TO BE FULFILLED EVEN AFTER 40 LONG YEARS. SO THE QUESTION IS: DO WE HAVE A WAY OUT OF THIS '???
How do we preserve Democracy?