Develop a customized resume and a cover letter to target the position of your interest (use all available university resources, such as career services, iSchool workshops, etc. to help you with this).
Find an internship program you are interested in. Please note:
1. There are companies starting summer internship hiring process well in advance during the fall semester. Such companies usually have all interns lined up before December.
2. There are companies searching for summer interns during the spring semester.
3. There are companies hiring interns in summer.
ITS NEVER TOO EARLY AND LATE TO LOOK AND APPLY
1. University and iSchool career fairs in fall and spring (this is a great opportunity to not only find a potential employer but also expand your professional network.) - https://careers.umd.edu/
2. Career4Terps - https://umd-csm.symplicity.com/students/
3. MIM2016@umd.edu & MIM2017@umd.edu mailing lists.
4. MLIS Field Study Database - http://ischoolfieldstudy.umd.edu/
Be ready with your elevator pitch, which is a persuasive speech that you use to spark interest in you as a potential employee.